2019 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge Directions
Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge officially kicked off May 6.
- Students in Grades 6-8 will have already signed up in their advisories by that date.
- Students simply enter their minutes online at www.scholastic.com/summer as they read.
- Mr. Oehler will email the students Scholastic website access information. If misplaced, contact Mr. Oehler at email@example.com.
- All minutes must be entered by midnight, September 6, 2019!
- Minutes for MCA’s required summer reading assignment also may be recorded.
- The USLC Specialist will receive all logged minutes from Scholastic.
- Maranatha’s 2019 pre-k through 8th grade summer reading goal is to read over 520,000 minutes collectively.
- 9th grade students 14 years and under also may participate.
- The top school from each of the 50 states will be featured in the 2019 Scholastic Book of World Records.
MCA placed FIRST for the state of Minnesota in the 2016, 2017, and 2018 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. That is fantastic for summer-time reading when many students in the nation don’t touch a book outside of school hours.
Students Entering Grades 6-12 (Required)
Summer reading for MCA students is required. All students Grades 6-8 who read over 1,000 minutes during the summer are eligible for prize incentives at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Required summer novels are assigned by the English teachers and are listed to the right.
- Assignments will be submitted for not more than 5 percent of the first quarter grade on the third day of English class in the fall.
- All required reading for students through age 14 may count toward Scholastic’s Summer Reading Challenge (see above information).
Students Entering Grades 6-8 (Optional)
It is strongly encouraged that each student read at least one of the Division II Maud Hart Lovelace Award Nominees for 2019-2020. Reading three of the books will qualify the student to vote in the spring of 2020 for this Minnesota children’s choice book award. The list of nominees can be found at https://myrahome.org/2020-mhl.